I wanted to thank everyone for another amazing year – the Narragansett Water Pollution Control Association (NWPCA) is better and stronger than ever! 2016 is behind us and 2017 is half over but I would like to reflect on accomplishments, challenges, and opportunities for an even better future.
NWPCA is an organization comprised of wastewater professionals. Founded in 1952, we are an affiliated state association of the New England Water Environment Association (NEWEA) and the International Water Environment Federation (WEF).
Our events support three primary objectives:
- Scholarship Fund that provides funding for educational opportunities for both wastewater operations professionals and college-bound high school seniors;
- Training and professional development programs for operations and maintenance personnel on various topics related to wastewater processing, maintenance of equipment, working safely, ever-evolving technologies, and other related wastewater responsibilities;
- Information exchange and networking opportunities for wastewater professionals.
This is my 3rd (and final) year as President, and I am pleased to report that the NWPCA is flourishing and doing more for our state’s wastewater professionals than ever. The members support us more than I could have ever possibly imagined. The success and growth of this association is so evident that other state wastewater groups have started looking to Rhode Island and how we do things. For example, rebuilding our Operations Challenge team which, in only a couple of years, pulled off an unprecedented sweep of the New England event. Congratulations to Ocean State Alliance on their terrific and nearly flawless performance at the NEWEA Spring Meeting in Cape Cod in June.
Some other notable events throughout the year include-
- Several Wastewater Training Classes for your professional devolvement
- Paw Sox Night
- Chowder Cook-off on the Beach
- The Awards Banquet and Annual Golf Tournament that were recently held at the Potowomut Golf Club. Both events were packed to the brim or completely sold out
- The Annual Clambake and Exhibition located at Twelve Acres, -another sellout every year!
- Our annual Holiday Party / Food Drive.
Please remember to check out our website / Facebook page for details.
You are important to our success each and every year and we look forward to working with you to assist all of our members in achieving their collective professional goals.
In closing, it has been an amazing experience to serve as your President, and I can’t thank you all enough.
Your support, kindness, and professionalism have made these last three years not only enjoyable, but wonderfully rewarding. I look forward to continuing the great relationships that these years have brought with you all.
Scott C. Goodinson NWPCA President